Spring weather can be quite dangerous as it attracts storms which may cause severe damage and flooding, especially in spring, once the soil is still frozen. Since the weather can be fatal in spring, it’s important to get ready for it ahead of time. Below are storm preparedness tips for homeowners:
- Create a tragedy preparedness program that includes an outdoor meeting place and escape routes from every room in the house. All household members must practice the program together.
- Produce an emergency supply kit.
- Create a home inventory that will help when filing an insurance claim.
- Make certain the residence is in proper shape to withstand powerful storms. Great things to do include repainting the roof shingles and repainting the basement, windows, and doors.
- Prune the branches and remove the dead plant in the lawn. The gutters should also be tightly connected to the house to guard against strong winds.
- Everyone in the family has to understand how to turn off utilities and how to utilize a fire extinguisher.
- Property owners should think about getting an Extended Water Coverage, as a portion of their home policy, to cover some types of sewer backups, that are one of the main reasons for water damage during significant storms.
- When there are missing shingles on the roof, then a trained contractor must be contacted to replace them.
- Don’t walk through moving water. Just a couple of centimeters of fast-moving water can sweep people off their feet.
- Do not drive through floodwater, not in a large van. Half a meter of transferring water is enough to take it off.
- Stay current on weather conditions and listen to local authorities for evacuation statements.
- Those that are inside ought to: safely shut the doors and windows; remain away from windows to prevent the danger of being struck by the crushed glass, and take refuge in the cellar when the storm is severe.
- Individuals who are outside should get to higher ground and avoid low-lying areas which are most likely to flood.
- Mobile radios should be used to remain informed.
- Make sure everyone is OK and check for damage to the house while being conscious of potential hazards.
- The pipes inside and outside the property ought to be scrutinized. The water source to the home has to be turned off in the primary shutoff if needed. A professional ought to be hired if pipe damage is detected.
- Switch off additional utilities if they’re damaged. Also, call local authorities and await their approval to turn them back on.
- Appliances that have been exposed to water have to be disconnected immediately. The most important power source must be turned off. In the event of damaged electrical cables, an electrician ought to be contacted.
- If there are shingles on the roof, then a trained contractor must be contacted. Property owners are advised not to resolve the roof themselves as they would risk injuries and potentially further damage to the roof.
- The windows of damaged cars that appear salvageable should be covered. It’s very important to list all ruined valuables in the car and call the insurance agent.
- Large fallen trees must be removed by a specialist only.
- Work with reliable local contractors, as a few businesses try to benefit from storms and natural disasters. A written contract detailing all the work to be performed, in addition to a breakdown of the cost, needs to be obtained prior to any repairs.
- If the home has been flooded:
- Avoid contact with floodwater, that is likely contaminated.
- Create lists of the damaged or lost items and take photos.
- File the flood insurance claim.
- Hire a professional disaster remediation firm, for example, PuroClean to acquire the house back in order safely and economically.
- Water harm must be remediated properly and quickly. Otherwise, it is going to lead to mold contamination, which introduces another host of issues and issues.
For flood damage cleanup, phone the PuroClean certified restoration specialists!
Spring flood disasters may strike at any given time, therefore it is vital to follow these storm preparedness tips. The PuroClean team stands ready to give professional restoration services to some property affected by fire, water, or mold damage.