Unfortunately, even the most cautious homeowners can experience fire or flooding in their homes. In the last few decades, however, it’s been possible to reduce that risk with smart home devices which can detect danger before it has time to wreak havoc on your home.
These devices are connected to your Wi-Fi system and also send you alerts through your smartphone if it finds something harmful. Below are a few smart devices you can have in your home to help prevent water damage and fire disasters.
Water Leak Detectors
- These compact battery-operated apparatus are placed near pipes fittings and appliances, such as bathrooms, sinks, bathtubs, and water heaters.
- You can set them up to immediately sound an alarm or alarm your smartphone (or both) if a leak occurs. This allows you to act fast, whether you are at home or away.
- Some wise leak sensors come with automatic shut-off valves that you can control remotely.
- For more control and protection, install a complete flood tracking system, which you’ll be able to connect to your smart home security system.
Smoke and CO Alarms
- These devices send an alert to your smartphone if they discover smoke or carbon dioxide (CO), or if the device has a low battery.
- Should you join them to a smart home security system, it can send alerts to your smartphone and the fire department in an emergency.
- Some smart smoke sensors can shut off your HVAC system if it finds smoke. This prevents smoke from spreading to other regions of the home.
- Use them in conjunction with fire/heat detectors for the very best protection against flame.
- Smart fire detectors send an alarm to your own smartphone when:
- there’s a rapid increase in temperature (rate-of-rise detection) or
- the temperature reaches a fixed point
- you can opt for combination heat sensors that provide both fixed and rate-of-rise detection
- They may also be attached to your fundamental security system for better control and protection.
- In case you don’t want to replace regular smoke alarms with intelligent ones, equip them with intelligent batteries.
- Smart batteries send immediate smartphone updates if among the smoke detectors goes away or if the battery is reduced.
Oven Shut-off Devices
- As cooking is the most important source of home fires, an automated toaster shut-off apparatus can greatly help to prevent kitchen fires.
- They come as toaster knobs or as devices installed on a kitchen cupboard. It does so by using a motion sensor that can tell if you are in the kitchen. Should you leave the kitchen, the system starts a timer and, if you are not back in the kitchen from the end of the countdown, then it is going to shut the oven off.
- These are electrical outlets that you can turn off remotely via a program on your smartphone. That helps if you’ve left home and are worried you forgot to shut off an appliance or even your own lights.
- Smart sockets can be voice controlled in case you have connected them to smart devices such as Google Home and Amazon Echo.
Despite all the proper security measures in place, disasters may still occur. If that occurs, call the professionals to assist you to get your home and life back on track. For skilled fire damage restoration and water damage restoration, then contact your local PuroClean Barrie office.